Accessing files on a local network file server - BEST PRACTICE?

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Fri Sep 25 18:24:05 EDT 2020

Thanks Bob,

Yes, the error messages you get on a failed file open are pretty generic.

I am thinking that whether Mac or Win, the key is to check for whether
there is a folder:

/volumes/mountpoint/ (osx)
or
//server/mountpoint/ (win)

For a given path tPath, I can tell if it is a windows server bu looking
at the 1st two characters of tPath and if they are // then I can try t
pull off //server/mountpoint and test for a folder by that name exists.

However, on OSX,

/volumes/mountpoint/ looks just like any local path.