Accessing files on a local network file server - BEST PRACTICE?

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 04:10:00 EDT 2020

So that in case (1) , we regenerate the file and in case (2) we present
a warning that the server is disconnected or down?
<<

For (2) you could save an empty file (as a flag of availability) and set
it's attribute to hidden.

If the file is not there when you get the files, then the folder is
unavailable.  Because it's a hidden file, users won't see it if they open
the folder using (most) other applications (Explorer only shows such files
if the 'show hidden' checkbox is ticked).

This file can then be filtered out based on file name when you get the
files of that folder to present to the user. It's just your internal check
for folder availability.  I guess there are some "net use" commands that
would show which shares are available/unavailable, but it's a long time
since I did that kind of system admin.

To programmatically set a file attribute to hidden on Windows use the shell
command to issue this "attrib +h _ServerAvailable.txt"

Hope that helps.

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 9:54 PM Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <