text manipulation with Chinese characters (unicode): guide?

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Wed Sep 9 08:37:22 EDT 2020

As mentions, Unicode in a field just works (there is a known issue with
Thai word breaks and another with printing Hindi)

If you want to get Chinese (traditional or simplified) into a field, you
can:

1)  get the text from a Utf8 ot utf16 text file and textDecode it i.e
put url ("file:"&filepath) into tContent; put
textDecode(tContent,"utf8") into fld "someField"
2) get the text from an RTF file, like the above, but set the rtfText of
the field to the imported rtf data
3) use a 3rd party library, like Wordlib (see the livecode store) to
read Microsoft Word .docx or Open Office .odt files