Contesting for Idiot du Jour

Thomas von Fintel runrev at vonfintel.org
Sat Sep 5 03:24:54 EDT 2020

Having had no contact with Bertrand Paradox except reading the Wikipedia entries in English and German, my impression is that this is not a case of broken math but a case of an ill-defined problem.
Saying that a chord of a circle is chosen at random seems to imply that all possible chords are chosen with the same probability. My interpretation would be that all points on the circle have the same probability and also every combination of two points have the same probability of being chosen. Not all methods proposed by Bertrand fulfil this requirement.
My interpretation may be wrong. But the fact that you need an interpretation shows that a problem like this needs more clarification.

Thomas