formattedRect, formattedLeft, formattedWidth of chunks

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Tue Sep 1 18:52:20 EDT 2020

If you control the content, it is probably not an issue. In our case,
the content and the ranges (char x to y) are set by the people that use
our product - we have no control - so we end up with customer's trying
to do their research and suddenly our product hard crashes, sometimes
resulting in lost work. They don't understand why since bunches of other
documents they are working with all process fine. Even the document that
is causing the crash may seem fine UNTIL they add a bookmarked range
that includes the tabs. As tabs are invisible in MS-Word and a lot of
MS-Word user are not really skilled at formatting, they may end up with
tabs in their documents that they are not even aware they are there.

This one really was a pain to track down as we had to get a customer,
with the crashing, who was willing to provide their whole research study
so we could reproducethe error in-house and then tracing it down in the
IDE took a very long time to go through the 1000's of lines of code to
find the crash on the 'formattedRect' call.