Plotting Equations that Bifurcate

Roger Guay irog at mac.com
Fri Oct 30 18:40:09 EDT 2020

Let’s try this again after spellchecking:

Yes, yours is a good example of a bifurcated line. But now imagine producing this line programmatically with an equation that:

Produces a constant y value of 149 as x progresses from 35 to 235 (no problem)
Then produces 2 different but simultaneous values of y as x progresses from 235 to 335. This is the problem as you don’t want the end point of the separated lines to connect. If you place an empty line in the points after each iteration beyond x = 235 then you end up with the bifurcated lines being points rather than a solid line.

How do plotting programs handle this situation????

Sorry for my inattention!

Roger