LC iOS Command 'mergPopActivity'

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Thu Oct 22 07:59:37 EDT 2020

The subject of this conversation is a bit wrong now, but I will keep so that the thread continues.

Looking at this a bit further, it looks like there is more than one scheme for getting one app to open another.

I find that the Dictionary entry for ‘launch url’ doesn’t quite conform to the example in the first link given by Bernard, at least not AFAIKS. The Dictionary says that if an app successfully launches another app in order to pass it a file, the originating app quits; but I don’t think the example shows that, and on a real iPhone for example, a little button appears on the top left of the screen allowing one to go back to the originating app. So I think the Dictionary is wrong and the example is right, but of course I will try it.

It’s also stated in the Dictionary that you can launch a file, and the OS will attempt to open a ‘default' app that accepts that sort of file. Of course there may be many such apps for common formats like text, but there will be one chosen by the OS as the default. Again, one needs to experiment.

What it doesn’t say in the example or in the dictionary is how to find the equivalent of a Custom URL for an existing app (not an LC app) and thus avoid the problem that one may not wish to use the default app to process one’s data.

As ever, I would be very happy for guidance and meanwhile will go on experimenting. (This is in part, I admit, displacement activity since my real priority is plunging back into the iOS App Deployment system, that gives me the jitters every time.)

Graham