The iOS "Files" folder

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Tue Oct 13 11:09:13 EDT 2020

Elanor has given me some more information about the very poorly documented mergPropActivity - I don’t know how to get someone who really understands it to provide meaningful documentation. Meanwhile, thanks to Elanor, I can generate a text file within my iOS app and can have a button within the app that opens ‘activity view’ on the phone which allows the user to save the file to the “Files” folder outside of the app, or into iCloud, so outside the sandbox; one can also copy to the clipboard, also outside the sandbox. Before asking Support I had never heard of activity views, which seem to be iOS only.

It looks from the minimum documentation I have that you could do much the same with an image, but I have not tried it. The various options available to the user in these circumstances presumably change with the file type, although I am not sure of this. The test application that Elanor gave me did not allow the user to email the text for example, but I have absolutely no idea why.

It seems strange to have such a sophisticated degree of functionality available and then apparently no adequate instructions as to how it works, the external context, or indeed the full range of options for its parameters. Should I raise this lack of documentation as a bug?

Graham