Canvas Limited to 32767

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Oct 6 21:08:33 EDT 2020

I'm all for more freedom, but the RAM requirements make any practical
use of extended coordinates a less trivial problem.

Most programs handle this by paging. It may look like one contiguous
region on screen, but as you're scrolling it's dumping chunks that fall
out of view and rendering chunks coming into view, so the total viewable
space is well within practical memory limits.

The DataGrid shows one example of how to virtualize a scrollbar, using a
non-scrolling group with a separate scrollbar, and some clever coding to
make them work in sync.

With that, you can do like other programmers do, paging in an out the
parts you need when you need them. Only we get to do it in script.

If done in the engine it's the same algo, which AFAIK is very different
from how groups are buffered now.

So "just" changing from 32k to 64k isn't as easy as putting the word
"just" in front of it might make it seem. :)  It would require the
engine team to write a very different buffering algo, a lot of extra
work for a few edge cases not handled by what's in place now.

No doubt the team could do it, but I don't think it would be simple.

And given the low ROI relative to other priorities, if it went into the
work queue I wouldn't expect to see it for a long time.

Maybe Mark Waddingham can chime in if I'm overestimating the difficulty,
but I suspect scripting you own paging system with a virtualized
scrollbar is something you could do yourself in a fraction of the time
it would take to wait for it from the engine team.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems