Canvas Limited to 32767

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Tue Oct 6 14:38:31 EDT 2020

You would think with 32K px at 72px/inch being like 450 inches that the
32K limit would not be an issue, but I have run into it as well

I have written a custom graph (like a bar graph for example sake) that
is generally fine with most customer data. However, on one customer data
set it started blowing up. It turns out that one of the bars was "huge"
(an the order of 400k px) at the zoom level where they could see the
details in the remaining bars. So, in this case the researchers wanted
to "zoom" in on noise in a larger data set, causing that larger data to
become huge in a graph.

And yes, you can code in bounds limits and attaching labels to indicate
a bar is out of bound or exceeds display area, etc., but I do agree that
for a number of applications having a large drawing area would be a big
improvement.