Google and OpenSource apps

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Nov 23 12:59:10 EST 2020

Klaus -
> Does Google allow apps that have been created with the Community Version of LC?
>
> Apple does definitively not, as I know.

AFAIK Apple has no policy prohibiting any open source app, provided it
meets their other requirements.

The issue with deploying apps governed specifically by the Gnu Public
License (GPL, which is used for LC Community distribution) has to do
with Apple's limitation on the number of downloads per account.

That restriction is viewed as rendering Apple's ToS logically
incompatible with the freedoms guaranteed in the GPL, which expressly
require no limitations on usage.

AFAIK Google has no such limit on downloads, so their ToS is seen as
compatible with the GPL.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems