Publishing Mac Apps

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Tue Nov 17 05:59:36 EST 2020

I agree (from limited experience I admit). The hassle referred to usually includes messages from the OS that many non-tech users will find mysterious, confusing and generally off-putting. Quite a lot of users don’t really understand the requirement to log in just to get some bit of software updated, let alone installed, so the burden then falls to the developer to write an essay explaining what the user has to do and sending it by email etc. Of course we all need security, but the whole thing has got out of hand IMHO. I think maybe Windows is worse, with its insistence on changing passwords after a time even if you’re working on an unconnected machine in the middle of nowhere…

Graham