Ideas on iOS GPS tracking needed

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Tue Nov 3 17:55:09 EST 2020

Seems to me if you are tracking linear movement, you need to average the trending values, say the last 5 or 10 reads, against a time base, and reject the ones outside an acceptable tolerance. You may reject some good data here and there, but something grossly outside tolerance should be pretty easy to grok.

Sounds easy, huh? :-) But it really is. For a car moving at 60mph, obviously the trend is going to be greater than a person walking, and slower than a small airplane. For an alien spacecraft traveling at insane speeds and making wild maneuvers, I’m afraid you are on your own. The tolerance can be a percentage of the average of the last x reads or the last x seconds. Seconds makes more sense to me since if you drop 2 or 3 reads it will skew the averages significantly. That is likely how Google Maps does it.

Bob S