ADA Compliency

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Thu May 28 14:24:30 EDT 2020

On 5/26/2020 6:56 PM, Dan Friedman via use-livecode wrote:
> Has anyone done anything in regards to ADA compliancy in mobile apps built with LiveCode?   Using the apple or android accessibility tools such as Screen reading, for example.

I have been periodically looking at assistive technologies for LiveCode
built applications on desktop platforms (vs mobile) over the years.
Certain OS bases assistive tool like screen magnifiers do work as they
are application independent. Unfortunately, screen readers and voice
recognition tools generally don't work with LiveCode because the
application independent tools look to act on OS native controls which
most LC app don't use through out.

With LC 9 and the FFI/Widgets it may be possible to build integration
libraries for one or more of those assistive tools that require
application specific integration, but I don't think anyone has done it.

For mobile ADA compliance, you best bet is to test your app with
whatever OS level assistive tools are provided with iOS and Android or
look in the associated App store for application independent assistive
app to test with your app.

If you mobile uses all native controls it *may* work better with OS or
3rd party assistive tool, but that is a guess. I have no mobile app
experience.