Saving stacks before closing

David Epstein dfepstein at comcast.net
Sun May 24 13:28:12 EDT 2020

I want to give the user a choice of whether to save changes before closing a stack.  To script this, I will handle the closeStackRequest message, and find a way to keep track of whether the stack in question has been changed since it was last saved.

What I am trying to figure out is under what circumstances LiveCode takes care of this without my scripting it.  In the LiveCode IDE, trying to close an unsaved stack seems automatically to ask me whether I want to save changes (but I have not found a handler in the backscripts that implements this).  This is true of stacks I have created with the IDE “new stack” tool and then try to close.  Is it also true of stacks I have created by script?

And what happens in a standalone?  Does this feature still work there?

In short, do I need to script an option to save changed stacks before closing, or can I rely on LiveCode to take care of this?

Many thanks.

David Epstein