[ANN] Release 9.6.0 RC-1

scott at elementarysoftware.com scott at elementarysoftware.com
Tue May 12 05:56:22 EDT 2020

Thank you for commenting, Monte,

I was very excited to hear that Livecode was moving forward with a way to handle the storyboard requirements.

From Apple Human Interface Guidelines <https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/ios/visual-design/launch-screen/>

<snip>
        "Design a launch screen that’s nearly identical to the first screen of your app. If you include elements that look different when the app finishes launching, people can experience an unpleasant flash between the launch screen and the first screen of the app.”
</snip>

Using individual images allowed this to happen pretty well.

Because of differing aspect ratios, adhering to Apple's guidelines now, at least for apps that support both  iPhone and iPad  (or even just iPhone 6,7,8 and iPhone X variants) seems not to be possible yet with the current implementation of storyboard. Not being experienced with storyboards, I’m not sure if this is a mismatch between Apple’s HIG documentation and storyboards in general or a limitation of Livecode’s early implementation of storyboards. I will be interested to hear how others are handling this.

--
Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust!)