HTML Platform

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed May 6 13:57:38 EDT 2020

On 2020-05-06 18:40, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
>> And mySQL from LC in the browser is tonnes faster than on the desktop
>> - massively! Because they’re both on the same server. Even though the
>> message path is LC>JS>(AJAX)>PHP>JS>LC!
>
> I suspect there's something going on there that can be remedied.  As
> you noted, compiled object code should be faster than interpreted
> JavaScript.  In every other respect the calls should be the same, so
> throughput should be faster in the OS-native implementation.  If it's
> not let's review that to bring it up to speed.

This isn't true - any thing which involves communication to a remove
server is dominated by transit time of the data - code on either end
doing the marshalling will make little difference (regardless of how it
is implemented).

The only thing I can think of is that the data being sent both ways is
being compressed - as there are HTTP facilities to make that
transparent. In contrast, the standard socket protocol of MySQL does not
compress data so more is transferred. (This is assuming the comparison
here is direct-socket-connnection-in-LC against
HTTP-based-requests-from-HTML5-LC-in-browser).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps