specialFolderPath, Microsoft Window, and 64 bits

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Mar 31 12:12:01 EDT 2020

On 2020-03-31 17:07, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
> On 3/31/2020 8:37 AM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
>> Under LiveCode 9.x.x (up to 9.6.0dp3) I can see no way to obtain the
>> 64bit application installation folder using SpecialFolderPath? Does
>> anyone know if this is correct or am I missing something?
>
> So answering my own question, as of LC9.6.0dp3 here are all the
> Windows paths for any given CSIDL number between 0 and 255). None
> return the 64-bit applications folder path. I will file an enhancement
> request.

Is your app running as 32-bit?

Just to note (looking at the MSDN reference you mentioned):

FOLDERID_ProgramFilesX64
This value is not supported on 32-bit operating systems. It also is not
supported for 32-bit applications running on 64-bit operating systems.
Attempting to use FOLDERID_ProgramFilesX64 in either situation results
in an error. See Remarks for more information.

So even if we did move to FOLDERIDs it wouldn't make much difference if
the app is 32-bit as 32-bit apps won't return 64-bit related OS paths
(it seems).

If the app is running as 64-bit then I think the relevant CSIDLs return
the right thing?

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps