[ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-3

panagiotis merakos panos.merakos at livecode.com
Thu Mar 19 13:12:53 EDT 2020

Dear list members,

We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.6.0 DP-3.

Developer Preview Release
=========================
Warning: this is not a stable release.  Please ensure that you back up your
stacks before testing them.

Getting the Release
===================
You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
the automatic updater.

Release Contents
================
LiveCode 9.6.0 DP-3 comes with more than 30 changes, including:

New Features
  - New text to speech library for iOS, Android and MacOS (Indy/Business
only)
  - Improved text rendering on Android
  - Objective-C block support in LCB

Bug Fixes:
  - Fixes to drag-drop on macOS and Windows
  - Fix to the Android input field native control 'focus' action
  - Device token is now returned correctly on iOS 13
  - UIExitsOnSuspend key removed from iOS plist
  - Windows camera control now produces much higher quality output

iOS Support
  - Building with Xcode 11.3 using the iOS 13.2 SDK is now supported

For the full list of all fixes, updates and enhancements please see the
release notes:

http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/9_6_0/LiveCodeNotes-9_6_0_dp_3.pdf

Known issues
============
- This build (for Mac) is not notarized yet, so if your Mac is running
MacOS Catalina (10.15.x) you will get a warning dialog saying that the app
cannot be opened. In this case, you have to whitelist LiveCode in the
System Settings -> Security and Privacy, and then right-click on LiveCode
and choose "Open" from the contextual menu. Just double-clicking to open it
will not work.

Note that you'll only need to do this once, the very first time you open
LiveCode 9.6 DP-3. For more details and instructions see here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202491

- The Browser widget's native layer is not shown in some Linux distros with
Cinnamon window manager.

- The use of the Browser widget is not supported on Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit LTS
yet.

Required Software
=================
The current LC 9.x versions do support MacOS Catalina - but are not yet
notarized. Notarization is planned for 9.6.0-RC-1 and subsequent releases.

To build iOS apps with LiveCode you must have the appropriate versions of
Xcode as follows:

  - macOS 10.13.4: Xcode 10.1 - LiveCode builds iOS apps using the iOS 12.1
SDK
  - macOS 10.14.4: Xcode 11.3.1 - LiveCode builds iOS apps using the iOS
13.2 SDK (also covers iOS 13.3)
  - macOS 10.15.3: Xcode 11.3.1 - LiveCode builds iOS apps using the iOS
13.2 SDK (also covers iOS 13.3)

There is a full list of working LiveCode/macOS/Xcode combinations here:

https://livecode.com/docs/9-5-0/faq/faq/

Note: Whilst we endeavour to release updated versions of LiveCode
supporting the latest Xcode/iOS SDKs as quickly as possible; we strongly
recommend disabling automatic update of Xcode or downloading the specific
version of Xcode required directly from the Apple developer portal and
installing it separately.

Important: From the end of April 2020, Apple will only be accepting apps
built using iOS13 SDKs. This means that, if you wish to submit apps to the
appstore you will have to be running at least macOS 10.14 in order to be
able to install the necessary version of Xcode.

Feedback
========
Please report any bugs encountered on our quality center at
http://quality.livecode.com/
We have a forum available for discussing LiveCode Builder at
http://forums.livecode.com/viewforum.php?f=93

Have fun!

The LiveCode Team