Philosophical questions about the fontNames

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 11 18:36:10 EDT 2020

Querying the fontNames includes:

(Default)
(Styled Text)
(Menu)
(Text)
(Message)
(Tooltip)
(System)

These are not font names, but constants the engine accepts so that we
can have good-looking, HIG-savvy UIs on multiple platforms.

But they're not font names.  They're not fonts at all.  They're engine
directives.

So should they be included in the fontNames?

(Yes, I know I can exclude them. I've been doing this a while, I can do
lots of things.  But if a newcomer wants to make a Fonts menu or list
she also needs to know the filter command, and why she needs to use it
to filter out things that aren't fonts. #learnability)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems