Object naming

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Jul 27 13:20:00 EDT 2020

Thanks Mark and Andre.

Mark's description of the solution is correct - but in my situation it's
not a solution.

The sub-groups (B in my earlier example) are opaque - they have
coloured, filled backdrops so that they can capture e.g. mouseMove
messages, so they need to be opaque. Therefore, I can't simply re-layer
so that the 'direct' graphics are behind (below) the groups.

The custom properties 'selector' idea is interesting - I'll need to mull
it over some more.

I'm currently thinking of something like

function idOfChild pLongID, pShortName
   repeat for each line L in the childControlIDs of  pLongID
      if the short name of control ID L = pShortName then return the
long id of control ID L
   end repeat
end idOfChild

unless someone sees a problem with that. (And of course I'll do that
once and cache the values for continuing use).

Alex.