Livecode Community Site

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jul 8 16:35:46 EDT 2020

Alex Tweedly wrote:

 > On 08/07/2020 06:30, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
 >
 >> LC Ltd loves guest content in their blog,
 >
 > Really ?  There's been *one* guest blog post in the last 2 years -
 > maybe they need to push harder for contributions.

You can lead a horse to water...

It's easier to snap together a web site than it is to author content. I
know that all too well.  LiveCodeJournal.com (and its earlier
incarnation of RevJournal.com) was well placed for many years, often #2
in SERPS - when I had fresh content coming in.  But third-party content
dwindled when LC began their own content outlets, I got more bill-paying
contract work, so that hobby project started taking a backseat.  It's a
lot of work to do alone.

Consider the WoecechestershireSource site, and sites from the fella in
S. Africa, TapirSoft's, and the others that have enthusiastically come
and reluctantly gone over the years.

A large third-party ecosystem is nice, and we should definitely
encourage more. But from an evangelism standpoint it's a
top-of-the-funnel activity, with the mother ship in the middle where the
funnel leads.  It helps to keep that destination well fed.

If it seems easy to commit to content authoring, give a shot at guest
blogging for the largest audience in the ecosystem.  If nothing else
it'll hone writing skills for the work ahead at one's own site.

 >> and additions to the Lessons and docs.  The nice thing about making
 >> contributions with the core project is they keep the
 >> highest-possible-ranking site looking fresh, while also reducing work
 >> for the author.
 >
 > Yep!
 >
 > So the answer for me is clear - I should write a (potential) blog post
 > for the Livecode Blog, and offer ti to Heather. It may not be up to
 > their standards - but at least I'll have tried.
 >
 > OK, off I go to write up my little "Them are beads!" project.

Supercool - I look forward to reading it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems