Animation Engine: speed tips

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jul 2 15:35:06 EDT 2020

On 01/07/2020 02:52, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> Did you use acceleratedRendering? Set it to true and set the layermode
> of each moving object to dynamic. I'd be curious to see if there's a
> difference.

Hadn't  tried those until now. There is a difference - but not the kind
I'd hoped for :-)

Full script is below with detailed time, but the summary is:
- acceleratedRendering made things much worse (50% to 90% slower)
- dynamic layerMode made things a little bit better (5% to 15%).

If the circle was moving over a plain background, improvement was only
5%-ish, while if moving over multiple other shapes, it gave a better
improvement.

Here's the full snippet of the script involved (other cases obvious :-)

>   set the acceleratedRendering of this stack to false
>    set the layermode of grc "g1" to "static"
>
>    repeat 3 times
>       put 100,400 into tmp
>       put the millisecs into tim1
>       repeat 100 times
>          add 1 to item 1 of tmp
>          set the loc of grc "g1" to tmp
>          wait 0 with messages
>       end repeat
>       put the acceleratedRendering of this stack && \
>             the layermode of grc "g1" \
>             && the millisecs-tim1 &CR after gLog
>    end repeat
>    put CR after gLog

Here are the times for each of the cases, moving 100 times

false static 192
false static 154
false static 155

true static 285