No support for 24bit/96kHz audio file?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Jan 23 05:27:08 EST 2020

On 2020-01-23 10:00, Stephen Barncard via use-livecode wrote:
> Mark,
> My experience with the built in player in the past has been difficult
> and
> it never served files greater than 16 bit up to 48k. In 2006 I reverse
> engineered (hacked) the player object to EXPORT audio files and
> required a
> lot of convoluted code to reassemble as a wav or aiff file, building
> the
> binary jump table was a trip.  I gave up after that.

Well it probably would have been easier just to use QT APIs direct and
write
an external to export the audio data from the file (not that that was
ever
necessarily easy, media frameworks tend to be skewed towards playback
rather
than authoring - and QT was never particularly well documented for
anything
other than playback!).

> Has it ever really been improved? Player vs "Player control"  ?
> It used to depend on Quicktime which is now doornail.

Audioclips have always been restricted in what they can do - they are
essentially
just simple raw audio storage/playback things.

Players used QT on Mac/Win until QT died - now they use
AVFoundation/DirectShow
(for at least the last 2-3 years). The formats they support are what
those
frameworks support.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.