Progressive Web App (PWA)

Simon Smith hello at simonsmith.co
Wed Feb 19 17:05:46 EST 2020

Progressive web apps are just websites, with a manifest file (JSON based
text file that contains additional settings, like links to the "apps"
homepage icon). Any website can be made into a PWA regardless of the
technology used to create it.

PWA can make use of Javascript-based service workers that can help give
that native feel, e.g. for caching, data storage and offline support. Sadly
though on iOS, PWA's are yet to support push notifications.

You access the URL of the PWA and get prompted to add the app to the home
screen. From there, when the app is launched, it is displayed fullscreen,
how the app now functions depends purely on how you have coded the app.

There tends to be a lot of focus on creating single-page based apps for
mobile (e.g using vue, angular, react etc) to get that "native" app
experience - but personally I prefer multipage apps and only using
javascript when needed. Depending on what you are doing, performance often
exceeds that of the "native" app approach.

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 3:45 PM Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <