Translate metadata to field content

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Feb 19 15:44:02 EST 2020

On 2/19/20 2:58 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> In Peter's view, he would be surprised to find any case where parsing htmlText would be faster
> than working with the styledText array.

This seems to pan out. Bernd sent me a nice test stack that uses styledText and does what Mark
W. suggested. It counts words and calculates the scroll. (It's a variation on the handler you
posted, Richard.)

I was impressed with Hermann's handler because it avoided scanning through a long series of
runs and used itemDelimiter, which I thought was pretty clever. But it did take much longer to
execute.

In each timing test I looked for a link that occured near the bottom of the text, which meant
that there would be a large number of runs to scan (several thousand), or a large amount of
text for the engine to work with.

Parse runs: 40-50ms
Use itemDel: 400-500ms

I haven't converted Bernd's script to use formattedStyledText yet but that looks like the way
to go.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com