LC Server: shebang breaks tags?

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Mon Feb 10 16:10:38 EST 2020

> On 11 Feb 2020, at 6:10 am, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> Can the merge function be extended to support scripts interleaved between blocks of non-code?
>
> e.g. this works in Server, and not in Merge:
>
>     <?lc if there is a file "something" then ?>
>     This is some non-code
>     <?lc else ?>
>     Some other non-code
>     <?lc end if ?>

I suspect it could but might require merge to do two parses to execute server style then execute merge style so in the end it might be better to have a separate function. A way to just parse once and execute multiple times like a regular script would be useful. Perhaps the engine could maintain a stack of compiled server style scripts like it does for regex. I’m not overly sure it adds a great deal to the platform though. Probably use cases for this are better served my multi-line string literals.

Cheers

Monte