LC Server: shebang breaks tags?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Feb 7 23:04:33 EST 2020

LC Server 6.6 and later allows you to use LC as you would other system
utility languages, by including the path to the engine on the first line
following a shebang - see discussion here:
https://livecode.com/livecode-server/

This lets us use the old MetaCard style with command line scripts,
without needing to put "<?lc" and "?>" around the code.

But oddly, it seems that running a script this way not only doesn't need
to comment wrappers, it actually tries to execute them - and of course
fails.

For example, this script:

     #! ./lcs

     <?lc
     put the long date && the long time
     ?>

...throws this error:

    row 3, col 1: script: not a command (<)

Weirder, I've found that if I omit the shebang and call the engine
directly in the path on the command line it runs well:

   ./lcs test.lc

What is it about the shebang that's breaking execution in comment blocks?

I have a need to embed code within larger blocks of non-code, and had
considered using LC Server as a helper app for that.* It doesn't matter
much to me if I launch it with the app path or not, but since most of my
systems have LC Server installed for general use it would be nice to use
the shebang method.  So this seeming anomaly is certainly not critical,
just odd.

* Yes, I know I can use the merge function for this, but LC desktop's
merge is far more limited to the implicit merge that happens when using
LC Server.

The merge function doesn't continue code execution across blocks of code
separated by non-code, whereas LC Server does this well:

     <?lc if there is a file "something" then ?>
     This is some non-code
     <?lc else ?>
     Some other non-code
     <?lc end if ?>

Maybe we could have the desktop merge function expanded to work like
Server's implicit merge?  That would be most awesome.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems