CentOS Death in 2021

Heriberto Torrado htorrado at networkdreams.net
Tue Dec 15 12:26:17 EST 2020

Hi Sean & Richmond,

I think it is best to only support LTS versions and just one desktop
(Gnome).  This will standardize the platform a bit (Hey, I don't want to
start a flame, I'm just saying that Gnome and Ubuntu / Debian are the
most used).
The problem with LINUX is the sheer number of different desktops and
configurations out there.
A small company like Livecode cannot be pretended to support all of
these variations.

I believe that if Debian LTS is supported, Ubuntu will automatically be
supported. Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian, so theoretically they
should be compatible.  With the death of CENTOS there will be a massive
migration of people to other distros (like us) and I think Debian and
Ubuntu will be the winners.
However, it is true that many certified hardware and many government
platforms only support RedHat / CENTOS.  Especially those in which you
have to comply with certifications and bureaucratic regulations.
So escaping from IBM is not an option for a big-medium size business.

I only code in Livecode with Linux.  Honestly, one of the reasons that
led me to choose Livecode over other solutions was its Linux support.

Best,
Hery