CentOS Death in 2021

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Dec 14 21:51:31 EST 2020

Sean Cole wrote:

 > You're probably right. However, with security issues constantly
 > needing keeping up to date with, it's probably worth working out
 > if it is worth supporting Linux at all, then. If they, LC, feel
 > it 'is' worth supporting Linux, it is surely, then, essential
 > to keep up with these latest versions to help their customers
 > avoid security issues.

What security issues are you concerned about?

As Mark Weider noted, the "official" support is merely a reflection of
their build system, and it relies on a version of Ubuntu still actively
getting security updates.

LC's Release Notes remind us that it runs on a wide range of Linux
distros and versions. The compatibility requirements are fairly modest -
from the Release Notes:

    The requirements for GUI functionality are also required by
    Firefox and Chrome, so if your Linux distribution runs one
    of those, it will run LiveCode.

FWIW I use LC daily with Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04, which will continue to
receive updates until April 2023 and April 2025, respectively.

On servers I have one client running LC on SUSE Enterprise, and the rest
of my installs are with Ubuntu Server 18.04 and 20.04.

Now if only we could get the Linux/ARM update I'd be super happy, but
even the last LC we got for Raspberry Pi still runs okay (with some
limitations) on the latest Raspian, and it flies under Ubuntu Core.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems