Will Browser widget ever work on Linux?

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Wed Dec 9 11:40:31 EST 2020

Mark:

 > It's actually OSX where CEF usage was
 > dropped, not Windows.

Yep, it actually feels great to be a Windows-first LiveCoder.
Ironically, things "just work." In fact I'm doing a Windows app right
now, using - guess what - the Browser widget. Works a treat.

It's hard to overstate how important embedded Browser support is. Along
with, of course, the field object, which can do much more than most
people realize. (The cliques and promoters/repeaters in this LC
community always breathlessly push certain resources, at the expense of
awareness about others.) Like the field, embedded Browser is a way to
deliver and display so many different kinds of content that it should be
considered a foundational part of LC. Can't afford to let it slip.

And the Browser needs to work fairly seamlessly cross-platform, to a
reasonable extent. That's why we're all here, right?

About Windows: Once upon a time I was a big Mac guy and Mac-first
shareware author. I was all about Mac...until Apple made some dumb and
hypocritical UI decisions, contradicting their own doctrine repeatedly
and destructively. They took a crowbar to the beloved Mac OS and made it
much less convenient and satisfying to use.

I never jumped ship onto the Linux rowboat. Nice to have that platform -
and by all means it should be supported. I'm still an enthusiastic
Mac-second developer, and I welcome Linux work on occasion, but I
adopted Windows as my primary OS since their UI had some advantages. To
this day I'm very happy to be firmly cross-platform and proudly
Windows-first.

Now that I have an SSD, the LC script editor troubles are a thing of the
past too. LC simply made the mistake of designing broadly-used software
on high-end hardware, so it wasn't a great design, especially for the
masses. (Strange because that's usually a beginner's mistake.) Remember
how the newly open-source LC was going to open up the world of coding to
the third-world masses? Nope, not gonna happen, not with that kind of
disk usage! I always design on budget hardware, so that at least the
middle class can use the end product too.

But now SSD has become the standard for new budget hardware, so very
soon that will be moot - once again LC runs just fine with modern
antivirus and Windows 10. (Talking about a real Windows computer - hi
Richmond - and not a partition or virtualized system. Real PC, real Mac
is the way to go.) So for users stuck on "the dark side" of Mac or Linux
- the grass really is greener over here at the moment. Fingers crossed.

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
"Better Methods, Better Results"