Layers in PBrowser

Sean Cole (Pi) sean at pidigital.co.uk
Fri Aug 14 21:10:39 EDT 2020

Oh, just to summarize the issue:
https://quality.livecode.com/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=lcfm

If an object you wish to move between group layers is on the root of the
card it is not a problem. As soon as all of those layers (groups and
objects) get nested into a group, that's when things start bouncing
around and not going where you want them.

So, thinking about it, this is actually more likely an IDE issue and a bug
rather than an Engine problem with backwards compatibility side-effects.

Here's the main script:
https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/blob/develop/Toolset/palettes/project%20browser/revprojectbrowserbehavior.livecodescript#L2121
<https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/blob/develop/Toolset/palettes/project%20browser/revprojectbrowserbehavior.livecodescript>
Line 2121 >> 2302
By the look of line 870, Layers were going to be addressed but never saw
the light of day. It gets declared but never used.

And, of course, we have the raw:
https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/blob/develop/Toolset/palettes/project%20browser/revideprojectbrowser.livecode

Awww, and I love this comment at the top of this file btw:
https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/blob/develop/Toolset/libraries/revideprojectbrowserlibrary.livecodescript

This library has been added as a stopgap in order to prevent errors which
> occur because

of interactions between the old project browser and binary stacks which
> otherwise could

only be fixed by forking the binary stack for the 8.0 IDE.

5 effing years ago -- ;D LMAO

Ali did this bug fix, supposedly, back in Apr2016, which is second to the
last commit in Aug2016!:
https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/commit/a5d137688a2e1abe72823c6ce0d7cb8fa8fb1f22#diff-d70adda35c18162b698c70f94170c58d
Because it's part of the binary where he did the (non-) 'fix', there's no
way of seeing what he did. Only the behaviour had been scriptified way back
in 2015. All the rest is held either in other behaviour scripts or the
Stack object scripts which is where it gets exceedingly messy.

This one seems interesting for the drag-drop part, after line 420:
https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/blob/develop/Toolset/palettes/project%20browser/behaviors/revideprojectbrowsercontainerrowbehavior.livecodescript

That's my homework assignment for you. See what you can faff with. For what
it's worth...

Mr Pi
'Don't try to think outside the box. Just remember the truth: There is no
box!'
'For then you realise it is not the box you are trying to look outside of,
but it is yourself!'

eMail Ts & Cs <http://pidigital.co.uk/emailTCs.rtf>   Pi Digital
Productions Ltd is a UK registered limited company, no. 5255609