Apps to fight COVID-19

Dar Scott Consulting dsc at swcp.com
Fri Apr 10 18:51:31 EDT 2020

Don't know what "list like that" you are referring to. Currently, Android (and maybe iOS, too, I don't know) requires Location as a prerequisite to using Bluetooth. My impression is that with the new API, this is not required. So, the list for any app is smaller.

I believe currently COVID watch only needs Bluetooth, Location (because of Bluetooth), notifications (but I'm hoping that can be made optional) and Internet. I haven't looked at the akp, uh, apk uh, whatever it is.

A concern that I have is that what was open source and peer reviewed is now pushed down into the API. And will that API be available on all Android 5.0 up? iOS 11 up?

COVID Watch is not stopping to see how this plays out. The team is testing this weekend. The same with DP3T. So, maybe we don't need no API improvements. Maybe.

I hope an app by one of the teams concerned about privacy will beat "to market" any government app. I would be very upset of Big Brother mandated the use of COVID Watch. I knew a fellow who worked hard for liberty in Cuba only to have the work stolen by Castro in a power grab.

Maybe this is where you can contribute, Mark. You can help protect us.

Maybe you can come up with some ways to test apps and APIs.
Maybe you can come up with methods to help with contact tracing that don't rely on a long list of permissions.

Of course, the 4Catalyst project is pretty cool, too.