Mobile Wondering <was Maximum field height?>

scott at elementarysoftware.com scott at elementarysoftware.com
Sun Apr 5 22:55:44 EDT 2020

> 1. xTalk features just don't work, or work totally inadequately (e.g. scrolling fields).

I feel this is overly harsh. Livecode fields (and the creation of native UIText fields) do work on mobile. I think the issue is that the use of some objects (like fields) on mobile is not as drag ’n' drop simple as it is on desktop. No argument there. And the fact that mobile-specific commands each need to be wrapped inside an environment-check to keep from throwing an error in the IDE.

> 3. It's not "Live"Code. Developing for Mobile gets you back into the horrible edit - compile (i.e. build a standalone) - test cycle.

I agree that there is much more of this needed for mobile since the IDE doesn’t allow us to build directly on mobile (I’m not sure that is a bad thing.) I have found simulators to be a good intermediary but it absolutely does require this frequent build cycle for some aspects of development.

> 4. You still need to deal with the ugly issues of the SDKs and the app-store  requirements.

I suspect that jumping the security hoops like certificates and store portals are a big reasons why even if "everyone can code” not everyone can see their mobile creation made available to others. Learning how to navigate these added security restrictions is time consuming and confusing (at least to me). Several people like Trevore DeVore and Matthias Rebbe have been helping ease these complications for desktop. I’m not sure what the answer is for mobile, though.

—
Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust!)