Getting started with geographical coordinates

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Sat Apr 4 10:47:46 EDT 2020

A friend of mine turned me on to this 10 years ago. This is the Haversine
formula. It assumes that the earth is sphere and is not very accurate for
very small distances. I have not tried to use the Vincenty's formula that
does better. For general purposes the HF should be sufficient.

Just give me the credit for LC implementation of a friends of mines routine.
Although I understand how it works the real credit goes to Don Josef de
Mendoza y Rios in 1796.

The girls and boys doing math in that period really set the stage. This
brought me back to my CGI days when I was patting myself on the back when I
self learned(with a friends help after reading the Kreyszig) how to move
points in space and calculate lighting.  I then self reflected and realized
that I was just putting together the pieces of math that these folks created
out of thin air. I still felt like I accomplished something but very much
smaller the scheme of things.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services