DataGrid question: Suggestions for further enhancements (Bob Sneidar)

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Fri Apr 3 11:38:16 EDT 2020

:-) I wasn’t arguing, just pointing out that before the data grid, the community was practically begging RunRev for  some kind of robust table object, BECAUSE the table field was so unwieldy. That others have found ways in the interim to enhance the table field is nothing short of astounding, and is a testament to both the robust nature of Livecode’s language, and the ingenuity of the developers who use it.

Just the other day I attempted to use a table field to display one row of columns from a database, and a second row of values. The columns and their respective values needed to be added or deleted based on a user selecting or deselecting the column from another list field, and added column/values always appended to the end of the list. I also wanted the user to be able to edit the values, but NOT the column names.

After about two hours of trying to get it to work, and running into all kinds of problems jumping through hoops and running into more problems, I scrapped it and used a data grid instead. Within half an hour I got it working.

If all you want is to display tabular data without much formatting needed and little to no editing, a table field is just what you need. If you want to format, edit, store and retrieve that data in a database, sort, filter, etc. then it’s my opinion that using a table field is going to cause more headache than it’s worth.

Bob S