OT: Catalina - the end of ad hoc & in-house development?

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Sat Sep 7 18:58:41 EDT 2019

Everyone is signing the praises of tools to jump through Apple's hoops,
but I see no one refuting Peter's original claims that Catalina is a ste
towards the end of ad-hoc and in-house development for the Apple
platform and I would agree.

Apple's goal for OSX is to get to the same place as iOS, where all OSX
apps go through the Apple store operation for a 30% cut. Eventually, you
will not be able to distribute an OSX application yourself directly to a
friend who runs OSX. It will go through Apple and, yes, it may be a
"free" app, but the endlessly changing hurtles that are discussed
frequency on this list for iOS will become the same for OSX and that
overhead will kill off a certain number of developers who just do not
have the time or patience or money to jump through those hoops. And
because - those sort of small ad-hoc or in-house developers - will never
contribute significantly to Apple's bottom line, Apple really doesn't
care one bit about them.

My 2 cents from having been close to Apple since the Lisa was released.