cr, lf, and reading in terminals/vim

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 17:28:39 EDT 2019

I’ve tried every combination of cr, lf, and crlf, but whenever I assemble into a file, I get something that neither the OSX terminal or vim recognizes as having lf in it

I build a set of commands in mrgCmds, appending cr as I go, but I get a bunch of ^M in the otherwise uninterrupted stream with vi and less, while cat shows me the last line (presumably, as it keeps writing it over.

The code in question is

put "outFil=open(theOutPdf, 'wb')" & cr after mrgCmds

put "outFil.write(theOutPdf)" & cr after mrgCmds

put "quit" & cr after mrgCmds

replace cr with crlf in mrgCmds

open file fldr & "/theCmds.py" for write

write mrgCmds to file fldr & "/theCmds.py"

close file fldr & "/theCmds.py"

please, someone help, before the termcap flashbacks tern me into a quivering blob of fear!
—
Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
The Hawkins Law Firm
3430 E. Flamingo Rd.