identifying text chars in an image

Phil Davis phil at pdslabs.net
Tue Oct 29 14:11:11 EDT 2019

Thanks for your great ideas Hermann. In my next experiment I think I'll
start by looking for any scrabble tile by looking for its [known]
background color, and then work out to its edges. That should give me
both the grid cell size and a starting point for discovering all cells
in the grid.

Unless anyone knows of something simpler?

Thanks -
Phil

On 10/28/19 5:43 PM, hh via use-livecode wrote:
>> Phil D. wrote:
>> So maybe I should first be asking about detecting the grid
>> established by the scrabble letters.
> You need some criteria to find the topleft of the grid and the
> size of one letter: color/transparency/a marker(fixed image part)...
> You could also use pattern recognition for that.
>
> Then it's the easy part to get all possible letters by computing the
> grid and crop (get from imageData) the grid elements by script.
> Then doing the OCR for each single char.
>
> If you need that for a standalone, then 'tesseract' with its huge
> language packs is probably not appropriate and 'ocrad' could be
> good enough for that.

Phil Davis
503-307-4363