Livecodeshare/SampleStacks

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Oct 26 22:59:51 EDT 2019

hh wrote:

 >> Richard G. wrote:
 >> I'll try to remember to never try others' scripts using "import
 >> snapshot", like I'm already in the habit of never thinking about
 >> having a browser widget, or the ability to play a movie or audio
 >> file, or have windows layer in an expected fashion...
 >
 > The problem is that linux is for LiveCode a tiny niche.

Yep.  I'm familiar with the stats. In fact, I've even had another list
user complain that I reference them too often, but like you I recognize
that they are important for understanding ROI, for LC Ltd and for ourselves.

True enough, the desktop belongs to Windows. With its 86% market share,
the desktop has always been a Windows story and it always will be.  Both
macOS and Linux are niche players there.  Apple has the advantage of the
boutique audience willing to spend more than their Win counterparts, so
it's worth supporting their OSes.  Linux users work the other way,
disproportionately into Free and Open software, so biz models dependent
on per-seat licensing are challenged there.

One unique upside to the Linux audience favors dev tools in general, but
not LiveCode specifically: they understand and contribute to open
source.  Python, Ruby, Perl, PHP - name an open source language (which
is most today) and you'll find a thriving contributor base.

In contrast, LiveCode's unique history works against contribution.  We
have disproportionately fewer members versed in C++ than many other
languages, so community engine contributions come from about half a
dozen people (big THANK YOU to those who have!).  And although the one
thing all LC devs have in common is a passion for LC Script, and the IDE
half of the product is written in LC Script, we still see relatively few
pull requests against the IDE.  No blame there, it kinda makes sense,
given that most of this audience came up age in the '90s when
development tools were still proprietary, so we don't have the same
contributor culture most other modern languages do.

Another factor is the percentage of license holders among experienced
users.  People who pay for a license feel entitled to a product that
works as described, and can be less inclined to effectively pay a second
time with labor.  Understandable, and quite different from audiences for
languages which don't have a dual-license model.  MySQL is arguably an
exception, but its market share is so uniquely vast that it defies
realistic comparisons with anything else.

I believe the contribution problem will be addressed over time as the
audience grows. The challenge is that the audience grows most slowly on
the platform most accustomed to contribution, because it's the platform
most seriously in need of contribution.  With such a weak out-of-the-box
experience, it's an unusually imaginative soul who'll try LC on Linux
and get excited about the potential.  A common phrase I hear is "It
looks like they don't care about Linux."

 > And much more:
 > The linux users of the community are kind of "LiveCode masochists".

Many Linux users feel the same about other OSes.  Aside from the times
I'm making fun of myself with a #fanboi tag, in more serious discussions
I avoid fannish advocacy.

Windows, Mac, and Linux have all proven themselves for their respective
audiences.  The Pengiuin has nothing to prove, any more than Mac does
now that it's rebounded from its 2.2% market share.  Indeed, there are
more Ubuntu users alone right now than the sum of all Mac users when
Steve Jobs returned to Apple.

In our modern computing world we have a wealth of strong, viable options
for every taste.  With OSes as with languages and text editors and
hardware and the rest, enjoy what works for you.

 > Some are so advanced with that, that they meanwhile feel *very* strong
 > pain only (your list above).

Ah, but the point there was apparently lost in my poor writing.  I
generally have no such limitations on the platform I currently spend the
most time with.  Browsers, video editors, text editors, email, graphics
tools -- pretty much everything I've enjoyed doing from my years when I
spent more time on Mac, and the years I spent more time on Windows, all
work excellently here on Ubuntu too.  The exception to that LiveCode.

 > For example you didn't even notice that SampleStacks didn't work for
 > weeks when using Business or Indy and, despite notification in the
 > list, both livecodeshare and SampleStacks didn't loamanyd stacks of
 > size > 2 MByte for two days.

Yeah, been working. Though I've read nearly every message on this list
since it started, I miss a few.

 > Also your "GoLiveNet" (I really liked it) is unusable since more than
 > a year from Mac using Indy or Business (I wrote you and gave up).
 >
 > [It errors with message 'Error downloading URL "liveNet.livecode.gz".
 > Check network connection and proxy setup.'
 > One has to quit, open it in a community edition, quit community
 > edition, restart the Indy/Bussiness edition and relaunch GoLiveNet
 > (that now can use the cache).

Check your spam bin.  I recall thanking you for your report, and also
noting in my reply that I was unable to reproduce it.  I just tried it
again a moment ago - same good result.

I can check on macOS and Windows when I'm back in the office.  May be
good to know which you're using.

At the moment I'm running Ubuntu 18.04, and I do nearly all of my work
with an Indy edition, currently 9.5 on this laptop.

 > So probably a tsNet caused bug.

Could be. I really wish curl support were directly in the engine, or at
least integrated with less obviously-not-native-to-LC syntax.  I can
appreciate the expediency of bundling an existing third-party tool, and
in the absence of any other support for the industry-standard curl lib I
think we're all appreciative of Charles' excellent work.  But tsNet is
an external, and it feels like one.

 > It is often too tedious to work around, I still feel the pain,
 > although I like LC on linux (on xubuntu especially).]

I've met some of the contributors to Xubuntu at the SoCal Linux Expo
(coming up in March for anyone interested in going).  Xubuntu us a great
distro, very well maintained.

 > p.s. Mark Wieder wrote an 'ugly workaround' (his own words) for
 > snapshot on linux, I use it in "QRReader". It works well, whether ugly
 > or not, also where the browser widget works (LC 9.0.5 on ubuntu1604).

Why my kvetching is personal, my interest is larger:

Many years ago I dreamed of one day meeting Mark Shuttleworth, CEO of
Canonical, the company behind the most popular distro, Ubuntu.  The
dream was sitting down with him to show him the unmatchable power of
LiveCode for rapidly deploying UIs for enterprise apps, devops, and the
other key segments he's focused on.  Maybe he'd bundle it.  Maybe he'd
have an engineer contribute to it.  Maybe feature it at
developer.ubuntu.com.  I don't know what could come of such a meeting,
but it seems like a very natural intersection of positive interests.
With more than 40 million desktop users, disproportionately strong with
devs, it seems a good win-win worth aiming for.

Well, I finally met him a few years ago when I attended the Ubuntu
Developer Summit in Oakland, and had some extensive time to speak with
him more recently when we invited him to keynote our UbuCon event at the
SoCal Linux Expo.

At long last, I'm finally in a position to ask for that meeting.

But LiveCode isn't.  Not on Linux.

So I wait, and continue to dream....

--
   Richard Gaskin