Weird macOS error dialog

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Sat Oct 26 08:06:58 EDT 2019

On 10/25/2019 8:35 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> After installing LC 9.5 on macOS "Catalina", when I run it I get a
> system alert I've never seen before:
>
>  "LiveCode Indy 9.5.0" wants access to
>  control "System Events". Allowing control
>  will provide access to documents and data
>  in "System Events", and to perform actions
>  within that app."
>
> What fresh hell is this?  Is this something all of our users will be
> seeing?
>
> I'm guessing (because there's not much in that text for actually
> knowing) that this occurs with some Apple event and/or AppleScript use
> - is that correct?
>
> Anyone know how to never see that weird thing again? (Other than just
> clicking "OK", which users will do but is never a good idea unless
> they fully understand the implications, which I don't believe is
> possible in this case given the vague wording).

I have not seen that one, but I have seen one-time permission dialogs
for (a) Internet access and (b) writing to the user's "Documents" folder
for a properly CODE SIGNED 9.0.5 standalone under Catalina.

I assumed it was like iOS permissions and probably LC will need to add
to the OSX standalone setting tab a list of permissions you have to
check off for your app, but I have not taken the time to research what
needs to be done to prevent such warnings.