Catalina and stuff other than 32bit

Dar Scott Consulting dsc at swcp.com
Mon Oct 14 15:57:27 EDT 2019

Catalina does not recognize the bootloader for atmega32u4 Arduino boards such as Leonardo. The IDE 1.8.10 avr toolchain works (64-bit); this is not related to 32-bit.

Catalina does not recognize the AdaFruit Feather ...BOOT drives. Actually this started with macOS 10.14.4. According to Dan Halbert, "Apple changed how USB devices are recognized on certain Macs", creating a timing problem. AdaFruit has a fix.

There are some indications that some USB devices made with Jan Atkinson's examples are having problems on Catalina on some hardware.

I don't know if Apple is stepping outside USB specs or is pushing the specs. Or whether the small board community has been spec-lax.

Not directly LiveCode related, but more reason to hesitate, especially for gadget folks like me.

Dar Scott
Mad Scientist