Catalina

Dar Scott Consulting dsc at swcp.com
Thu Oct 10 13:48:42 EDT 2019

Being a mad scientist causes my mind to wander. I implied some sort of application that would take a 32-bit macOS app and turn it into a 64-bit app suitable for delivering to customers in the interim. But I gave solutions only for a sophisticated user to run 32-bit applications from Catalina (or so) desktop.

My immediate thoughts: Bundles might make a conversion for the macOS easier. Dependent 32-bit dynamic libraries would have to be moved into a folder in the bundle, and file I/O will do redirection. The app's program would be moved and replaced with something else that uses some sort of hyper-something to catch the INTs or that will use ptrace() as a debugger would. In the latter case the INTs might need to be translated statically by the converter. I have not made a modern debugger, tracer or hyper-thing, so I'm just guessing.

Dar