Questions about LC Server Apps

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Oct 9 08:43:35 EDT 2019

Jjs wrote:

 > Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> What functionality or topics would you like to see examples on?
 >
 > For example, how globals work between html pages like SESSIONS
 > variables do in PHP.

It's quite similar to PHP IIRC, but I just went to look that up in the
Server Guide and made an important discovery:

Apparently the Server Guide is no longer included in the Sever download.

Instead there's a copy of the Release Notes named as though they're
specific to Server, but they don't seem to be.

I remember reading about session management, and I believe it was in the
Server Guide.  Do any of you have a copy?  That would save me from
poking around through the old builds until I find it.

Once we have it we can put it back into place in the build system as it
used to be.

 > Or how values from buttons are picked up.

LC Server and PHP live on the sever, while any buttons are in the
client's browser.  How do they communicate?  How would you do what you
need there with PHP?

This one may help:

  How do I handle user input using LiveCode Server?
http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4070/l/36650-how-do-i-handle-user-input-using-livecode-server

 > I'm not unwilling to use it, but most servers already have php
 > installed and therefore it is easier to use might one need to move
 > to another server. The more when it is a shared hosting. Mostly
 > they do not allow installation of lc server.

Which hosts have you found disallow custom CGIs like LC Server?

I used to see that back in the old Perl-and-PHP-only days, but as more
folks have been usin Python, Ruby, and other languages, I find hosts
have warmed to the modern multilingual world.

If you recall one that doesn't maybe I can convince them to consider it.
:)  I've had good luck with that with some ISPs.

 > Finding do many examples on html and php shortens the time to build
 > it.

The HTML knowledge will be the same, but yes, PHP has been on servers so
much longer it definitely has more docs.  That's why I'm keen to learn
more about what you were looking for with those.  Bit by bit we can
flesh out the edges of the LC ecosystem to better reflect its new
position in the Top 50 programming languages.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems