Give a bug a hug

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Oct 7 19:27:41 EDT 2019

Bob Sneidar wrote:
 >> On Oct 7, 2019, at 15:56 , Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >> Bug  bounties are pretty common.
 >
 > Interesting, but these are professional developers, right? Not common
 > end users.

LiveCode is a developer tool. We use it to make software for end-users.

A lot of discussion around LC's business is based around the world of
software that was prevalent when most of us got started.  Back in the
'90s most development tools were proprietary, and open source was just
getting started.  Indeed, in the first half of the '90s there were very
few viable open source projects.  Nearly everything, even dev tools,
were proprietary.

That world is gone.

In the 21st century, while proprietary software still thrives in
consumer segments, infrastructure and dev tools are predominantly open
source.

LiveCode is no exception: More than 3/4 of its users are using the
GPL-governed Community Edition.

 From an early-90s perspective, we can think of LC as a proprietary
product that offers an open source option for evangelism.

But in terms of actual usage in the here-and-now, LC is more accurately
an open source project in which a subset of the development costs are
subsidized by an optional proprietary license.

New world, new ways....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems