Give a bug a hug

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 16:42:09 EDT 2019

Cripes . . . this is turning out to be a right can of worms . . . and,
obviously, there is an awful lot of reluctance
to sponsor/donate for bug fixes. Let me attempt to summarise so far:

1. people feel that the company responsible for producing some software
should bear full
responsibility for fixing bugs.

Mind you, if that were the case I don't think there would be anyone
developing any software anywhere at all.

2. People feel that "another: KickStarter 'thing' for bugfixes might end
up as a blackhole swallowing
their moolah with no guarantee of getting what they have stumped up
their hard earned bucks for.

Well . . . Yes . . . I can see both those points of view as perfectly
valid . . .

But the simple fact is, like it or not, LiveCode has got some
long-standing bugs that at least some people
feel are show-stoppers, and the people at LiveCode Central do not seem
to be able to do much about them:

Why?

Well; here are a few possible reasons:

1. They have "bitten of more than they can chew" insofar that they have
committed themselves to such a lot of work in terms of continuing
development they just don't have the time or resources to get down to
the bugs.

[This is why I suggested that LiveCode Central might like to consider
taking a period "off" their continuing
development to retrench and devote that period of time to attacking
those bugs - this, of course,
presupposes they all have sufficient funds to put food in their fridges.]

2. They are undermanned.

3. They are underfunded.

4. They expected more "outside help" after they set up their Open Source
version.

And #2, #3 and #4 might be sides of the same coin.

And if "We" don't do something about those bugs they may languish there
forever.

Now an idea, which may be about as bonkers as most of my other ideas, is
this:

Over on the bug-reporting system (or linked to it) have a system where a
price is attached to "the head" of the most pernicious bugs. Individuals
would be then welcome to donate funds to specific bugs, and once the price
has been raised other individuals would be welcome to attempt to fix the
bug, for which, if they can properly
demonstrate they have fixed it, they get the bounty.

There would, of necessity, need to be an overseer of this whole project.