Recommended specs for Windows Development computer.

Jjs jjs at krutt.org
Fri Oct 4 13:50:23 EDT 2019

How do you people cope with the differences on fields and knobs having text in it on the different OS-es? If i only build on windows even for Linux and Macos, text and such never fits in the fields.And i have to adjust it and maintain a stack for each OS.

Dar Scott Consulting via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> schreef op 4 oktober 2019 19:40:16 CEST:
>The original question mentioned testing and debugging.
>
>I tend to develop on the Mac and test on Windows. At times I need to
>develop on Windows because there are unknowns in the environment or I'm
>using some Windows specific hardware. Especially internal hardware.
>
>It is a big pain to have multiple programming stations, so I set up
>Windows workstations with monitors, keyboards and mice as needed. I
>prefer to have my big wide monitor on my Mac and then remote in. I
>currently use no-machine to access Windows machines.
>
>The focus in the discussion has been on processor, RAM and disk. For me
>however, other hardware is important. That is, that which makes it hard
>to test with virtualization needs to be in the real hardware. And often
>one needs real hardware. Virtual Box has been good to me as far as
>emulating hardware, but I need to test on real stuff.
>
>So, for me, the most important part is not so much processor-RAM-disk,
>but I/O. I want lots of USB and a variety of such, front and back. I
>want board slots. I want multiple NICs. RS-232 is a big plus. A
>powerful GPU is a plus, but I hope to build a computation server
>someday. Multiple kinds of video is good as well as handling multiple
>monitors. I want Bluetooth and Wifi. I want WoL. Though I use
>no-machine, I want to be able to remote desktop in, so W8.1 needs to be
>Pro. As soon as I get a computer, a customer will come up with
>something I neglected, so those slots are important. I get Pro for
>everything if I can.) For a different machine, I might want something
>with a touch screen that I can carry around.
>
>In my last buy, I compromised. I did not get high performance or slots.
>
>And speaking of Pro, Windows 10 Pro is, out of the box, friendly to us
>old guys.
>
>As far as development on the Mac, Bootcamp does not work well for me, I
>want to see all of my screens on all of my computers. Parallels is
>good, but I have found that when Parallels and VMWare say no, Virtual
>Box says yes. What good is higher RPM when you can't get it into
>reverse? In general, virtualization allows me to swap out hardware or
>display sizes quickly, bing, bing, bing. Network configuration testing?
>No searching for switches, routers and cables.
>
>Just going by my memory (I recommend against trusting it), I do not see
>a big performance hit. I think LiveCode on Windows 10 Pro on Virtual
>Box 6 on Mac Mini runs slightly faster than LiveCode on macOS on
>MacMini. That could be my imagination. Disk I/O might be a lot slower,
>but it did not affect me. I typically use a LAN drive for such testing,
>anyway, unless the tests directly involve a local drive.
>
>I have used MSDN Operating Systems to build a variety of virtual
>machines and to load on real machines. However, things seem to be
>different. Now the best way seems to be Visual Studio Pro, $1200 for
>the first year, $800 for subsequent.
>
>Dar
> [...]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Android apparaat met K-9 Mail.