...and a challenge

Peter W A Wood peterwawood at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 00:09:20 EDT 2019

Colin

…

> set numberformat to “x.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

Your solution seems to be missing a few hundred thousand digits ;-) The JavaScript solution prints the first 1,000,000 digits of Pi.

Actually, the article says that the script only can produce 1,000,000 digits when run in a Chrome console. It will only print the first 315,633 digits in Firefox. (I haven’t tried that to confirm it.)

> BTW, I haven’t seen JavaScript using ‘let’ before, or having ’n’ to indicate a floating point number. That could be a dot net thing.

“Let” was introduced into JavaScript some time ago. It provides block-level scope. This console session may demonstrate the difference:
>>> j = 0;
0
>>> for (var j = 0; j < 10; j++) {};
>>> print(j);
10

0
>>> for (let k = 0; k < 10; k++) {};
>>> print(k);
0

Big Integer support was recently introduced into JavaScript. The ’n’ suffix denotes a Big Integer, “primitive” numbers are always floats in JavaScript.

Regards

Peter