Give a bug a hug

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Sat Oct 5 19:10:02 EDT 2019

On 10/5/19 12:27 PM, Richmond via use-livecode wrote:
> Well, well, well . . . out of the smoke a phoenix arises . . .
>
> I am in contact "with those who know what they are doing" with a mind to
> try to set up an "adopt a bug" scheme. But the real b*gger is how on
> earth to
> do some sort of triage on outstanding bugs and find out which ones:
>
> 1. Are sortable-outable.
>
> and of those:
>
> 2. Which ones actually justify time, money and effort.

It may be even more complicated than that, and I would think very deeply
about this before jumping in.

Kickstarter facilitates raising money for a given project, but they're
very upfront about the fact that any given project may or may not
materialize - you're funding the effort, not the finished product.
Nonetheless, people get upset when they've funded a project that doesn't
reach completion, or even ones that take much longer than originally
expected. Happily most of the efforts I've helped fund on Kickstarter
have reached conclusions (the Deathstar never got completely funded).

With Indiegogo you're taking that paradigm even one step farther,
because people will be paying to have bugs fixed whether or not they
actually end up getting fixed. And part of that depends on raising the
goal you're going to set for fixing a certain bug. So let's say you end
up raising 75% of your goal for bug x. On Kickstarter nobody would be
charged because you haven't met your goal. On Indiegogo everybody who
paid to get the bug fixed would be charged what they pledged, but now
you're left with not enough money to fund getting the bug fixed. And
you've got everyone upset that you've taken their money and still not
fixed that bug.

So what's the way out? *YOU* put up the money to get the bug fixed, then
set up an Indiegogo page to get paid back. Not a pretty sight.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com