...and Livecode... where are we now?

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Thu Oct 3 12:13:55 EDT 2019

I agree with Trevor here, but I'd like to interject a bit. I have 2 reasons I declined to use the Filemaker model many years ago. One was that I could not code procedurally. Coding was done using graphic objects whose properties you had to open and edit, then save. Easy I suppose for a non-coder, but VERY time consuming, especially when you needed to find out where something was going wrong! Perhaps that has been addressed in Livecode for Filemaker.

The other thing was it's licensing model. To have LOCAL USERS run a utility app I created, they each needed to purchase a license for Filemaker Client, or else I had to run Filemaker Server, again licensed per user. The cost of widespread distribution in house or commercially made it completely untenable for me.

I'm not sure if licensing has been addressed. If not then I think we can expect Filemaker to maintain it's market position without too much future growth.

Bob S